Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday, June 27 update

Hi everyone.  I'm checking in, but there isn't much new news to report.

I met with my surgeon yesterday and my head stitches came out. Based on what they shaved on the top of my head for surgery, I will be living in headband scarves for months as my hair grows out. Oh well, it is what it is.

The next medical steps are to continue with home physical therapy to regain my strength. The surgeon thought I was progressing nicely, but it is a daily balance for me between trying to do more each day and resting as much as possible. Some days I feel good and other days I realize that I pushed too hard.

My neurologist will meet with me on July 8 (about one montth from surgery) to evaluate if I can come off the anti-seizure medicine and start driving again. Since I had numbness episodes,  they are sticking to a one month rule of not using a car. Both PT and the neurologist will let me know when my normal routines can start returning on July 8 (or I hope that is the day I get some freedom again). Right now I am walking with a cane, and I'm getting stronger each day. I still struggle with balance. If my eyes are closed attempting a balance exercise, I will fall if the therapist isn't there to catch me. Needless to say, when I do my PT on my own, I keep my eyes open!  I am getting more comfortable walking without the cane inside the home, but the outside world terrain isn't as flat as home flooring so it is usually with me at all times.

Exciting news for me: I am moving home to my house in Mableton on Saturday, June 29. I am so happy to get back to my home and my cats. My parents have been beyond amazing, so the last thing I am is unappreciative. But after 3 weeks, I want them to get back to their normal routines too.

The next big steps happen next week. My post-surgical MRI is Monday, July 1. That scan will determine the radiation plan my oncologists decide upon. I should get that recommendation and schedule from them on July 3. From what they've told me it will happen pretty quickly in July once they have their decision. I am eager for that news but just have to wait for now.

Emotionally I'm doing well. I do have my moments when the fear sets in, but I just don't allow myself to stay in a dark place too long. I've always been a believer that staying busy is good medicine and I will be seeing my counselor regularly again to help manage this part of the journey.

So many friends have signed up to help me with at least having a daily check in/errand/company support as I move back home Saturday. I've got help lined up daily through July 7 which is an amazing blessing and will relieve my parents so much stress. Thank you to all my friends who have taken shifts or errand assistance to help me and my family.

That's all I have for now. Thanks for the continued love, prayers and support.

Xoxo,
Marcy

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear your amazing progress. Look forward to seeing back at full steam VERY soon! :)

    Terry Miller
    41NBC

    ReplyDelete