Hi all. Quick update for today. Mom is taking me to my townhouse just for a day trip so my cats know I am still alive, as I haven't seen them since June 7 when I left the house abruptly. I could not be more thrilled to see them today as I miss them so. Our family boxer dog, Brunswick has been as sweet as he can be while at my parents, but I know my cats are distressed and need to see me.
Also, I was supposed to be in the delivery room during the month of June to aid my good friend Anne with the birth of her first baby, but my surgery canceled that plan entirely, so today will be a joyous meeting of Morgan Urmanski for the first time. I can't lift anything over 10 lbs., but I will at least get to put him on my lap for the first time and it will be a special day.
My church group is bringing me lunch and another friend will come for dinner, so it will be a full day of friendship. I still tire and will have to make myself take a nap, but I am sure the cats will love that.
I am still not allowed to drive, but I am walking with the cane primarily now verses the walker, which is great progress! I am not real steady, nor do I have stable balance yet, but I am working hard on my PT and now have faith I can get it back (or at least I pray so). I still have weak areas, but I am fighting to regain my my mobility again, all while being prudent and careful. I get a little better each day and that is all I'm asking for and the body is responding.
I will still be living at my folks for at least another week as PT, rest and nurtition are my three main focuses through the help of my family. It is amazing how much I still need naps to gain strength.
I really turned a corner about a week after surgery and we seem to be in a pattern of moving forward. I haven't had any more numbness episodes to report and I will continue my healing until we get next step instructions from the doctors on post surgery treatment. This is just the holding pattern for now - all about healing.
Again, when I am allowed to move home, I will ask for help from those of you that have offered. A chore, a drive somewhere to an appointment or the store, some company, cooking, etc... please let me put another SOS call out when that time comes. My parents have been more amazing than one person deserves, but I do want to go home again at some point too. I'm making goals, knowing they can change day to day. Being flexible is what I'm focusing on, but it can frustrating for a planner like me. I read this quote by Gloria Steinem that rang true for me this week that made me feel better about all my list making: "Dreaming after all is a form of planning." So I am choosing to make my lists of dreams to come true.
I love you all for your prayers, cards, flowers, visits, food to my family, gifts, smiles, care, concern and love. You all have given me and my family strength you probably don't realize. I will be a success story. I will make you proud.
Love,
Marcy
Marcy you already make us proud! Enjoy/embrace those naps and continue to get better. We'll continue to pray for your progressive recovery!
ReplyDeleteCoop