Friday, June 14, 2013

Two days post op

Hey there every one and thank you for your support since Friday. It means more than you know, to be lifted up in so much prayer by so many different people and groups to feel God had no way of ignoring to this plight to Him to keep me safe.

Here is the latest update following Wednesday night's surgery. I am still at Piedmont and bed bound, waiting on a physical therapy and occupational therapy consult today. The goal is to get me to stand, maybe walk and get in a seated or standing shower. Right now, my left side arm, leg, knee and hip is very weak, but after I slept last night it seems a little better. I have feeling on the whole left side with the weak movement, but I have zero movement in the left foot and toes which is scary. The docs are saying the head swelling will be its worst at day three from surgery which would be Saturday night so my symptoms could get worse before they get better. The unknown and lack of patience with the unresponsive body is tough to say the least.  I am on an anti-swelling and anti-seizure medicine to help the brain calm dowm. I am not a big pill taker, but I took ambien last night and it helped as I haven't been sleeping at all.  Rest does the body good so I'm going to try to take them until I can find some normalcy with rest.

The docs are happy with the head incision and said it is healing fine, and that my job is to not worry, keep the stress dowm and keep the brain light, happy and rested. My other goal is physical therapy for the weak body areas. The may put me in inpatient or outpatient therapy at The Shepherd Center, one of the top-five centers in the world located next door to Piedmont. I guess it pays to have your neurosurgeon on their board to get me in that special place. They will work my ass off!

More good news: I had another MRI yesterday to confirm the entire tumor was removed from surgery, so that scan came back clear- hallelujah!

Next steps after we determine the in- or outpatient therapy is rest for my mind for the next few weeks. Then they will do another MRI in early July. This will allow the radiation oncologists to plan my type of radiation - either one gamma knife or 5 targeted a sessions and it all depends on how deep the cavity is in the brain. That would happen mid -July.

Now that my cancer spread to another part of my body from the breast area,  I am now considered to be a Stage 4 metastatic patient-survivor.  What this means is I'm starting over with a new 10-year observation plan with my oncologists with MRIs and CT scans every couple of months, I love my oncologist and he is a very straightforward guy. He told me my odds were 70% in my favor of living beyond this. It is my job to do all I can do to make sure that 30% never gets a shot.

Obviously,  I have a myriad of emotions that I'm not ready to delve into yet as this requies a new mindset on living,  even more so than I had before. It is a lot of loss and hearbreak, but a lot of freedom of future worries as well.  Money is on my mind as even with good insurance, as my medical bills of the next ten years of tests, parking, medications, etc. will wind up being substantial  - easily over $30, 000 and that's underestiming right now. I try not to worry, but I do. How can you not?

Many of you have asked where to mail things or if you can visit, but until Sunday rolls around,  I do not think I will have an idea of where I will go - to the parents,  to my house or full-time rehabilitation.  I am beyond words with everyone's outpouring of love and support, but give me a bit for visits, cards, flowers, dinners or anything else as just getting through the day with my large team of care providers,  docs and tests are exhausting me. I have my family and a few close friends in the loop, so I'm good for now. I will let you know when I will need that type of support and trust me, be patient as I know that time will come - just thank you for wanting to help me. I am so thankful and touched you all want to help in some way or another. However, just your words of encouragement and prayers are perfect for now.

Love to you all,
Marcy

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of you! I have another friend who has spent many years at Shepherd Center recovering from a fall. I know he said they treat him very well. We'll all be behind you in spirit supporting you!--Kristi

    ReplyDelete