Lots of good news to report... I got discharged yesterday from the hospital and am now living with my parents for the next couple of weeks.
The most exciting news is although my left side is still very week, my left toes and foot did move yesterday. Praise God!!!! The docs feel that with physical therapy I will get it back totally. They were very scared at first when it wasn't moving at all -- we all were. It could be one week, one month or one year, who knows, because the brain is a funny thing when you put air on it. But they said it will come back as they never touched the brain and to just rest and be patient. Let's be honest... maybe it was a God's work to have that tumor on the motor strip as I went from the first symptom to surgery in 16 days. If I had no symptoms, this could've been a very different outcome.
I start home PT today and if I still need the Shepherd Center, we can start it next week. I can walk gingerly and slowly with a walker and stairs with a cane. The goal is to only use the stairs once a day as I am not stable. The left side is slow, but it does move.
They sent me home with a medical shower chair so that felt good to finally feel a smidge human this morning by getting a shower. Mom did have to help me wash my hair. The surgeons shaved a lot of it... more than I thought and it looks scary, but all that really matters is I'm alive, right?
After getting to my parents last night, I had the best sleep in a week; probably a good 7 hours. I know rest is the best thing for my brain and recovery. The docs have me on an anti-anxiety medicine to keep the brain rested, plus the myriad of other drugs for post recovery.
I won't be doing much else than resting and PT the next two weeks so I feel I will be at my parents at least that long. I really miss my cats and my home, but this is the best place for everyone right now. Next steps is stitches out on June 26 and the radiation planning MRI on July 1. Then radiation will happen the week July 8. At that point, I have no idea if I'm allowed back to work or not. I really think the eariest will be July 15. I hope that by next week I can at least maybe work an hour a day remotely just to stay in touch. I do love my job and my work family; and again, I am beyond thankful for everyone of them stepping up for me so I can concentrate on this horrid battle.
I am also blown away from all of you who are supporting me and praying for me. I cannot say thank you enough. This is a very scary road. I know my doctors have praised me and cried with me for how much fight I have in me and how they will fight for me to be in that 70 percentile to live past the next 10 years. I will be receiving CT scans and MRIs regularly to make sure we catch ANYTHING early. I hate having to be in this cancer coocoon again versus being a normal carefree human being, but I have no choice. Just continue to pray pray pray for me, I beg of you.
I also can't thank my parents and brother enough. For their overwhelming support, for telling me I will not have to wait until retirement to do all my bucket list activities, as I am to live each day to the fullest from here on out. Give me your ideas as I make this list... I would love to know what places of the world inspire you. Travel and all of God's creations on this earth is what lights me up and makes me happy. I just pray I will be able to bouce back and do it again.
Many of you have asked for an address so here is my parents address where I am: 5294 Silver Creek Drive, Lilburn, GA 30047.
God bless each and every one of you for your support, care, concern and prayers. I want the big man upstairs to know I am sill needed on earth for a while longer. Love to you all, now time for another nap.
Marcy, we all love you & are sending prayers everyday .... you have awesome parents .... & say the same thing ..... bucket lists do not have to wait until you retire .... enjoy everyday to the fullest & make memories everyday .... we're going to the Bahamas in November for my husband's 60th birthday .. but, we love Hawaii too ..... but most of all we all love you & are so proud of you ♥ Amanda Scott Carpenter
ReplyDeleteMuch love and MANY prayers for you, and your parents and brother too!
ReplyDeleteJill Scarborough Bracewell
Continuing to pray for your and your family as well.
ReplyDeleteAnthony Rhoads
Acadia National Park was fun! Certainly there is more to come :)
ReplyDelete- Jim
So glad that you are home and getting rest and love. - Susan & Jim Pedley
ReplyDeleteYou have a long time to finish your bucket list, but I agree with the others who say start now! I should follow the same advice. Hawaii the most peaceful place I've been--really anywhere you can hear the sound of waves. Just so peaceful! Then walking over the rolling hills in England or down a quiet lane. Nothing can beat it. Stay strong! Kristi Tucker
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear you have movement. That is BEYOND great! Mom and I were talking the other day (she has gone back and read a lot of your blog since you have now had pretty identical experiences) and the first thing she said when we talked about your surgery is "I hope they don't take too much of her hair" knowing how connected cancer patients become to their hair after all you go through. It seems trivial to the rest of the world, but I remember when mom had her brain tumor removed and the glue for the brain monitors spread in her hair and she had to essentially shave her head and it brought out such an emotion I never saw.
ReplyDeleteWe are both so glad you are doing well and can't believe you are sitting here writing blog entries. You are an amazing woman, person, survivor, fighter...not sure there is a word to do you justice, Marcy Scott. But one thing is for sure: you have a ton of people praying for you and are there for you. And we are all better people for knowing you. :)