Saturday, July 11, 2009

Frustrated


I received a call yesterday from the nurse assigned to me at Piedmont. She called me to confirm an appointment at the wellness center, and the she told me, that I was the patient of the day discussed at Piedmont’s Tumor Board. Each week all the oncologists, lymphatic specialists and doctors get together to discuss a case (my name was never mentioned, but the nurse knew it was me due to the “dove bar” underneath my arm). It is nice to know that there were lots of people interested in my case and many doctors able to give insight. They determined my case “special” due to the way my cancer presented itself. It didn’t present itself in a tumor. The mass was deep in my breast and kept expelling the bad cells, to which the lymph node under my arm kept catching. It was doing its job – to capture waste and process it through the lymph system. However, this lymph node did such a great job catching the cells, which is why it grew so big. A lymphatic specialist now wants to meet with me to understand the size of the lymph node and how it impacted all the arm pain I was having.

Anyway, now the doctors aren’t sure if any of the cancer has escaped to the lymph system, so I have to have what’s called a PET SCAN Monday morning. It’s a full body scan to make sure the cancer hasn’t spread elsewhere and I’m not Stage 4 – only Stage 3 as they have hoped.

My first visit yesterday was to my breast surgeon. She did another biopsy in her office on the area of origin. I won’t lie – it hurt like hell. Felt like she was bearing down right into my chest. I cried of course.

Next was the visit to the oncologist. Where we are both frustrated is the receptor study results are still not back from the lab in California. These results determine what type of chemo drugs I get and how often. My doctor says he does not expect the results to come back positive from those, just due to the fact that only 15% of people come back with positive readings.

With that, he has outlined a course of treatment for me with the exception that if the receptor studies come back positive, he will change the course. He should know those results Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Next steps are the PET SCAN Monday and the next Monday they want to do a baseline echogram of my heart because the cancer drugs can weaken the heart muscles.

My chemo treatments will be the following (as long as the receptor studies come back negative): once every two weeks for four months, changing the mix of drugs halfway. I will start my first chemo treatment on Thursday, July 16. My doctor feels assured that my toughest days will be the second and third day after chemo. So on my weeks I have chemo, I will have them on Thursday afternoons, work from home on Fridays (just to rest my body as much as possible), then my bad days should be that Saturday and Sunday, so I can be ready for the next work week ahead. I want to continue to work during this process. I know my energy will be lower and I know I won’t be able to do all the overtime hours I used to, but it’s important to me to keep working. I love my job and think it will be a good distraction for me and something else to focus on.

I will listen to my body and try to bring my lunch each day and nap for 30-45 minutes where I had used to go out to lunch. My mom went to the nutritionist this week and we cleaned out my pantry and refrigerator last night. There will be only healthy eating for me the next four months and probably little to no eating out. Trying to avoid any processed foods and eat as organic as possible. I got upset a little bit checking out of the store last night as my buggy was full of crap I’ve never bought before. And let me tell you, the healthy organic food never goes on sale so my bill was pretty high.

I cried before bed last night. Just overwhelmed at how much my life is changing and how much I will be losing in this process. I’m proud of myself for the positive attitude I’ve had most days, but some days it is too much to process – between the two doctors visits, the biopsy that hurt, the unanswered receptor study, having to do two more tests and the changes in my kitchen, it just overwhelmed me to tears.

Today is the shorter hair cut and visits to two wig shops. Hopefully, I will find something I like.

I’ve also had people ask if I had a registry somewhere. I registered for a few things on http://www.headcovers.com/. You have to enter in my first and last name, plus my email address, which I used the marcylscott@gmail.com address.

On a funny note, a few of my high school girlfriends came over and brought me dinner on Thursday night. Beth showed up in a trench coat and said she had surprise for me. She threw the jacket off and underneath she was dressed in our Trickum Middle School cheerleading uniform. The wench can still fit into it – barely, but she got it buttoned, so props to her. We all had a big laugh. They were so sweet – kept my mind off things and was a fun evening of laughing and reminiscing. (see photo above).

Also, save the date – August 8. I’ve got some great friends working on a fundraiser in my honor to help with my medical expenses and what I can’t use will be donated to breast cancer research. It will be called “Think Pink” and is being held at Opera. Michelle Muessle-Dauble is spearheading this along with many others, so I am very grateful. I wasn’t for it at first, as I don’t like to be the center of attention for anything, but have come to realize that I need help and have many people in my life who want to help in some way and this hopefully will be a fun and positive event for all. So be looking for a pink outfit – I think a prize will be give for the best one. I’m actually looking really forward to it now and hope to get to see many of my friends there.

I will post a picture of the new haircut later.

Thanks for all your love and support!

With love,
Marcy

8 comments:

  1. A couple of thoughts ... Think of crying as chemo ... washes out bad stuff that's building up, and helps you keep it from welling up inside you. The "chemo" is finished, you move onto the next step. In that sense, it's a good and welcome thing.

    The other is an observation from Kevin O'Brien (now at Irwindale Speedway) on grieving. He lost his wife (sudden death syndrome) a few years ago, and said it's a little like standing at the edge of the ocean backwards. Every now and then a wave (grief) will wash over you and swamp you momentarily. You're never quite sure when it's coming, because you're facing backwards.

    Then I heard an even better "addendum" to that thought somewhere. If you're standing still, the wave will swamp you. But if you're moving forward, it can only lap at your heels.

    Keep fighting, laughing, crying ... amd moving forward.

    Vaya con Dios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have to go through so many test but they are normal and neccessary ones. You are one tough girl. You have lots of support and they love 'ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update Marcy. What a great picture of you an Beth! Too freaking funny :) I have been reflecting on our visit, and I just want you to know I am going to not eat with you ... if that ( "wench") as you so well put it..he he can still fit in that uniform, I guess I am going to have to give up food since that is what she said she does :) Ha!
    Seriously, how fun was that and BIG kudos to Beth!
    Okay, now I am going to go try to pack for our vacation and try to hold back the envy I have for you and your beautiful home and its disgustingly organized....neat and tidyness EVERYWHERE!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!
    I am so hiring you or begging you for your help and advice when you are ready to tackle your crazy friends house :)
    Can't wait to see your hair cut...I know it will be beautiful just like you! I will be keeping up with you while I am out of town...Trevor just came up to me and saw your picture and asked if you were okay...he said he would say a prayer for you and draw you a pretty picture :) He is a good artist...hope he will take after Erik and me!
    Hope you are enjoying that 1st season of friends...I want to come watch it with you...I like Michelle's idea of a slumber party next :)

    Lots of Love and Hugs-Court

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Luv -

    That is a great pic of you and that beautiful smile!

    You know, I dont know Beth but I have to say, if she can fit in the Middle School uniform - you could look at it as 'Man she was a big girl in Middle School!"

    And your event, I'm thinking sea of Pepto! What a great idea.

    Thanks for posting the Registry info.

    I love you,

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that Beth!!! How dare she still fit into that uniform? Those of us who knew her back then KNOW she was the tiniest thing!

    Can I give props to your Mom? How sweet of her to be looking after your nutrition! Do you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby...they have LOTS of yummy organic stuff to choose from, but it is quite pricey.

    And, it's okay to cry. You are overwhelmed, exhausted, etc., etc. My 3 y.o. twins are autistic. It was something we never expected. Most days I get along fine. But there are days when it all seems too much and it doesn't seem fair and I just want to curl up in a ball and sob. And I do just that. You've gotta let it out! Can't wait to see the new cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcy: Thanks for keeping us up to date! The headcovers site is also asking for a regs number in addition to your first and last name and email. Do you have that number?

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristi, I just tried to log in without the registration number and was able to get into it. I never received that number. Let me know if it doesn't work and I will investigate further. Thanks everyone else for the words of encouragement. Love, Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you've got some great friends around to support, I'm not going to say what I thought when I saw your friend trying to squeeze into the cheerleading outfit, just for the record I usually carry a lot of ones around!!!

    Now moving on, here is the litany against fear from my favorite Sci-Fi book Dune,

    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

    it worked for me, take care, I'm writing this while sitting on a bag of ice, burrrr

    ReplyDelete