Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ouch!

Yesterday was the surgery to put in my port for chemotherapy treatments and another needle biopsy, followed by a MRI.

I arrived at the hospital at 6 a.m. with two of my close girlfriends who both have nursing degrees and work in different capacities in the medical field. They kept me talking and laughing trying to keep me occupied before the procedure.

A nurse came to get me to take me back to get prepped for surgery. When she told me to put on the gown, I started crying. At that point, it all sunk in that this is the start of the long road ahead of me and it all became overwhelming; plus I had never had major surgery like this before. They started the IV quickly and gave me something to calm down. I was told I was a chatterbox from there. I got to see my mom, dad, brother and two friends before they started the procedure. I remember getting wheeled back to the surgery room and talking to my surgeon for a bit, but after that, nothing else.

I woke up in recovery with a really sore throat and the side where they did the biopsy was hurting like mad. I really didn’t feel anything much where they put the port in. Drank some ginger ale and ate some Italian ice for the throat and they gave me pain meds and anti-nausea meds too.

My MRI was originally scheduled for 4 p.m., but the nurses called and got me worked in at 12:30 p.m., so I went straight from recovery to the MRI. I was scared, dry heaved a bit, but once settled in the machine, it was fine. It only lasted about 30 minutes.

Following the MRI, I was discharged and sent home. Mom stayed the night with me and I rested a ton. I ate chicken noodle soup, crackers and Jello all while my stomach was doing somersaults and back flips. I also had an anesthesia hangover (really bad headache).

Mom took great care of me last night and this morning and sent me off to work driven by a co-worker that lives nearby. I’m feeling as best that could be expected today, but trying to take it easy.

Mom has a meeting today with the nutritionist to make sure I will be eating right prior to and after the chemo treatments and preparing my body for it as best we can.

Best news I’ve received all week, is a friend of mine wears a wig full time due to losing her hair years ago. I never knew her hair wasn't real, as she has the most beautiful head of hair. She said she has gotten a free one in a package she had bought and wouldn’t be able to use it, so she is donating that free one to me. I bawled my eyes out by her generosity.

Next big step is Friday, July 10 with the oncologist. At that point, all the results of yesterday’s tests will be in and a course of treatment will be unveiled, so all we can do now is wait. My breast surgeon said that my oncologist might even start chemo Friday afternoon, but if he didn’t, I could plan on it starting Monday, July 13. I’ll keep you in the loop with Friday's results.

Again, I cannot say enough about Piedmont Hospital and the staff there. Each and every medical professional I encountered was kind and helpful and really seemed to care. I couldn’t say thank you enough to every person that helped me.

Thanks to you for all your love and support, and keep praying for positive test results on Friday!

With love,
Marcy

2 comments:

  1. Marcy -
    We are all behind you and following your progress. Keep that sweet smile and know that people love you. I have been thinking about you non stop and will be on pins and needles awaiting to hear your results on the 10th. Remember if you start your chemo on Friday that is one step closer to getting rid of this from your body. I know that you don't want to go through this at all, and trust me that is what everyone else wants for you too. But since being faced with this right now, fight it and get rid of it as soon as possible! It doesn't need to stay in your body another minute. Hopefully the results on Friday will be less than expected but just know no matter what, you have a great staff and a great support group around you...all caring for your progress. Many prayers and much love! Lori Rollins

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's WONDERFUL news about the wig. I emailed Dallas and Caddy and said we needed to start a fundraiser for one for you. I know what you mean about Piedmont. It's the ONLY hospital I go to for any procedure I have and all my doctors are located in the buildings around it. Wonderful, kind people, all. Many many prayers are going up about your results on Friday. Please keep us posted.
    Love you sweet lady,
    Rebecca Floyd

    ReplyDelete