Saturday, August 8, 2009

Finally, A Break!

I haven’t updated my blog since my last chemo treatment 10 days ago. Even though this was going to be the second chemo treatment, I really felt like I was starting over figuring out what my symptoms were going to be since the last time we went from the first chemo treatment to the blood clot and then straight into the second chemo treatment with little time to rest.

My blood clot has still not dissolved. My doctors say it can take two to three weeks to subside and it has only been two weeks. It is still tender to the touch and a bit swollen, but doesn’t impact my movement too much in that area and I’m real careful now not to put too much pressure on it.

My doctors have also put my on a blood thinner medicine for the next three months to make sure I do not get any more clots. This requires my blood to be checked once a week to make sure we are getting the right dose to keep my blood at the appropriate level.

Following the July 30 chemo, I was hoping it would be an easier go-round with the symptoms. I usually just sleep a lot the night following the chemo treatment. The anti-nausea drug and steroid the doctors provide me actually allow me to function quite well the days following chemo. Friday, I work from home; Saturday, I had enough energy to run a few errands – last Saturday, my mom and I were out for about five hours and I think I need to limit that to no more than three going forward, as Sunday, I was really tired and just laid on the couch all day – I think I overdid it on Saturday being out too much.

What is disappointing to me is that as soon as I come off the great anti-nausea medicine and the steroid, I start to struggle. That following Monday through Thursday are the worst days for me. The nausea is unbearable and I have an especially hard time with it in the mornings. I have a hard time finding things to eat. I have asked a co-worker to drive me to work on those days as the one hour commute in and one hour commute home are too taxing. I sleep in the car those two hours. I also take a nap during my lunch break at work which helps tremendously, but by the time I get home at 6 p.m., I am glued to my couch; I have no energy to do anything and drift in and out of sleep. I’ve had many friends offer to start staying with me on those Monday – Wednesday nights to help me as I deal with the fatigue and nausea assisting with dinner, household chores, etc.

Thursday of this week, I hit a low point. I had felt like I hadn’t had a break yet since the chemo started. I couldn’t believe it had been a week since chemo and I was still tired and dealing with the nausea. I cried and was so mad that I just wanted a day when I could get a break.

I woke up yesterday morning still nauseas. I got to work, still dry heaving at 9:30 a.m. But by 10 a.m., I turned a corner. I felt the nausea had subsided and had a bit more energy. I still slept during the hour commute home, but when I got home, I wasn’t glued to the couch as I had been the prior four days. I still rested, but felt I had energy to do a few chores around the house.

FINALLY! I felt I had gotten a break! I wasn’t feeling great, but I wasn’t miserable as I had been for the whole week. And today I woke up feeling even better and had no morning nausea at all. I think I might actually be able to have about five days between chemo treatments now where a get a bit of a break and can feel okay for a few days. I am so happy!

My doctors have also told me that the chemo drugs I am on right now (Adriamycin and Cytoxin) come with a lot of nausea. They call Adriamycin “The Red Devil” because it causes so much nausea. I have two more treatments of those drugs, and the final four treatments will be with a drug called Taxol, which the doctors have informed me should reduce the nausea by 50%, so maybe I will only have two more bad treatments and get some better relief for the final four treatments.

Even though I am still struggling with foods, I’m trying to eat more often (small portions) every two to three hours to see it that will help with the nausea. It worked yesterday, so I’m going to try that for the entire week following the next round of chemo.

What’s most important is I am actually excited about tonight’s benefit and think I will feel decent during the event. I’m trying to rest a lot today so I have as much energy possible for the party. I was so worried all week that I wouldn’t feel well enough to attend, but I think I’ve finally turned a corner.

Thanks for everyone’s love and support. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone that is coming out for tonight’s event. I am blessed to have so many friends who have worked countless hours putting this event on and I cannot say thank you enough to all of them.

With Love,
Marcy

3 comments:

  1. Dear Marcy,
    I am so sorry you are having such a terrible time of it with the chemo and nausea. You are such a brave young woman and I know there are many who read your blog and know exactly what you are going through. I believe you are helping alot of other young women out there in the beautiful and sincere way you express yourself on these pages. I hope all went well with the big event (benefit). Please know that you are in my daily thoughts and prayers as well as your Mom and Dad.

    Dolores Augustine
    North Myrtle Beach, SC
    ddaugustine@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the Lord you can feel better for several days! Good for you for finding the bright light in this journey! Enjoy your party tonight. You'll be in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you find relief from your nausea. I was on Emend during my chemo and it worked wonders. Have you tried that yet?

    I have added you to my prayer list on my Caring Bridge site, I hope you don't mind. But while people are praying for me, I would love for them to say one for you too.

    Even though cancer is a horrible thing to deal with, one positive is that you see how many people truly care about you. It is very humbling.

    Again, if you ever need to talk to someone who has been there, done that, I am here for you.

    God Bless,
    Angela Walker
    ang4jags@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete