Monday, November 18, 2013


November 18, 2013 – The Final Chapter

 

Hello everyone,

This is Charlotte (Mom) again writing the blog that Marcy desperately wanted to finish herself.  It was her intention to improve to the point where she could keep you up to date and finally be well enough to reach out to you.  However, this was not the case.  Her health never fully recovered and her days were spent eating, enduring PT and OT, bathing, and sleeping.  Any kind of activity that she performed pretty much exhausted her and necessitated a nap afterward.  She had virtually no time to talk or visit with friends which was a huge disappointment to her. Please know that she was aware, however, of each and every email, phone call, card, and gift she received and was thankful that you all cared about her.  She greatly needed and desired to be surrounded by her friends and was heartbroken that she was unable to do so.  

So in honoring her wish, I will complete her blog, although I cannot do justice to her style of writing.

The doctor visit on August 30 to review the results of the MRI from August 28 showed improvement of the cancer cells in the brain but no change in the cells in the meninges.  At this point he informed us that her survival rate was now about three months if she had further brain surgery to implant an Omaya port (for chemo) OR three months if she chose no further treatment.  Since the Omaya treatment would cause intense headaches and of course would be another brain surgery and couldn’t guarantee the prolonging of her life, Marcy opted to forego this and try to enjoy her remaining months.  In fact, the family planned a trip to the beach where she would be surrounded by family and friends and lounge on the porch and gaze at the beauty and vastness of the Atlantic Ocean.  

Unfortunately, the headaches she had been experiencing never fully abated and were difficult to control even with pain medication.  Additionally, pain started creeping down her legs and caused her such discomfort that she was often unable to sleep/rest.  To combat these discomforts, the doctors increased pain medication, but sadly this resulted in lethargy and inability to remain awake long enough to eat/drink on a regular basis.

On Saturday morning September 14 (the day before we were to depart for the beach trip), Marcy collapsed and was unresponsive so she was rushed to Piedmont Hospital where she was admitted.   A CT scan proved inconclusive and at this point, due to her condition, doctors informed us that Marcy likely had only two weeks to survive.  With their suggestion, she entered in-home hospice  care.  She was returned to our home via ambulance on September 17 where her dad and I cared for and embraced her with love for the remaining days of her life.  Even though Marcy lost her hearing and her sight at this point, she continued to fight for life and endured for six and one-half weeks.  She died peacefully (and finally pain free) on Friday morning, November 1.

Marcy and the family are forever grateful for the love and support from her friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, and colleagues throughout her five year battle.  We realize what an inspiration she was to so many with her positive attitude, faith, and determination to overcome this disease. As we all know, though, we are not in control.  God has now wrapped his arms around her and will comfort all of us who now miss her.

Let’s honor her forever and improve our lives by remembering these words of Marcy and abide by them:  “Live each day with complete utter joy and let go of petty annoyances and disagreements is a great mantra.  Let that be my gift to you – to love with every fiber of your being to all walks of life.  Look for the good in people.  It will astound you.”  Marcy Scott

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Charlotte for sharing Marcy's last days with us. I know they were precious ones. And you did your daughter proud - who do you think she got her talent from? Love you! Kim Culbertson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so heart broken for your family. Marcy is indeed wrapped in God's loving arms now and will be missed. I wish you my deepest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim Culbertson is right- I can see where Marcy's gift of flowing words stems from her Mom. Thank you so much for sharing these precious days with us. Heartbreaking and inspiring! Marcy has inspired me and I strive to live a bit more like her each day. I am glad she is pain free now. The sky since November 1 has been the most vibrant and gorgeous art work I have ever seen. Even heaven's artwork is more magical with her organization! Thank you for sharing! Love, Stephanie Heaton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy and I were friend many years ago, and the things I think of when I remember her was of a young woman in a setting where she always showed great morals and never took for granted anything. I am so sorry for the pain you are in. This world needs more people like Marcy.. She will always be missed . Tom Negrete (Thunder) 00 Days

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sorry for your loss. You raised a great woman. We all need to live by her very profound words at the end of the post. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very sorry for your loss. I will take her words and bring them into my life to help her memory live on. - Liz Harrington

    ReplyDelete