Well, I went in to see my reconstructive surgeon on Friday. Upon examination, he did not want to expand as we had planned as the skin on my chest is too thin. Turns out I never had an infection in July and the red spot on my chest was from the pressure of the expander edge on my thin skin. So that last surgery and hospitalization was to be safe which I get, but really it was a waste of time.
Instead of expanding, he told me he wanted to do surgery as soon as possible. I about fell out of my chair…. You all know that my job involves working at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Our race weekend is Sept. 2-4, just three weeks away. I told the surgeon that unless it was medically necessary, we needed to wait. I’m too overwhelmed with work right now to be having surgery. He said the skin is incredibly thin and he did not want to wait. He worked with me to have surgery on a Friday, so I only miss one day at work. Which right now is a ton, but it is what it is.
So I’m having surgery this Friday, two weeks out of race weekend. I just pray I have the stamina to make it through the exhausting race weekend. I’m nervous to tell you the truth about this being so close to race weekend, but my doctor is adamant to have the surgery now.
Since he can’t expand, he can’t rely on the skin to make the natural teardrop shape of the breast like they did on my right side. So he’s using a different implant on the left side that is anatomically shaped so it does the work for the skin. He told me that they call it the “Gummy Bear” implant. Nice, just what a woman wants to hear – Gummy Bear Boobs.
While that sounds like a great solution, the only problem is the implant has been in clinical trial for 10 years now and is still considered “experimental” so my insurance won’t cover it. I will be billed $1,500 for the implant which I’m not thrilled about, especially when the surgeon feels it is his best option.
The great thing is the fundraiser all my friends donated to in August 2009 still has money to cover that expense. The bad news is it basically empties the medical fund account so I have no money to donate to charity which I had really wanted to do with what was left over. I just want to thank everyone who donated two years ago as I have used every penny for all my medical needs/prescriptions/uncovered expenses/medical leave. I would have been in dire straits without it. You have no idea the impact that has had on me. I cannot say “thank you” enough.
I also can’t wrap my head around the fact that we actually might be getting closer to the end. I’ve been so incredibly busy at work and I’ve had so many problems to date, I don’t even want to get my hopes up that this will go as planned. It’s sad isn’t it? When you come to expect the worst? To tell you the truth, it has to go right because with my job, I can’t afford any hiccups right now. The goal is to be back at work on Monday, August 22 and my surgeon says that’s absolutely doable as long as I don’t lift anything for a while. As long as I can talk and type, I can get to race weekend!
Keep your fingers crossed for me friends and say a little prayer!
Love to you all!
Marcy
Instead of expanding, he told me he wanted to do surgery as soon as possible. I about fell out of my chair…. You all know that my job involves working at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Our race weekend is Sept. 2-4, just three weeks away. I told the surgeon that unless it was medically necessary, we needed to wait. I’m too overwhelmed with work right now to be having surgery. He said the skin is incredibly thin and he did not want to wait. He worked with me to have surgery on a Friday, so I only miss one day at work. Which right now is a ton, but it is what it is.
So I’m having surgery this Friday, two weeks out of race weekend. I just pray I have the stamina to make it through the exhausting race weekend. I’m nervous to tell you the truth about this being so close to race weekend, but my doctor is adamant to have the surgery now.
Since he can’t expand, he can’t rely on the skin to make the natural teardrop shape of the breast like they did on my right side. So he’s using a different implant on the left side that is anatomically shaped so it does the work for the skin. He told me that they call it the “Gummy Bear” implant. Nice, just what a woman wants to hear – Gummy Bear Boobs.
While that sounds like a great solution, the only problem is the implant has been in clinical trial for 10 years now and is still considered “experimental” so my insurance won’t cover it. I will be billed $1,500 for the implant which I’m not thrilled about, especially when the surgeon feels it is his best option.
The great thing is the fundraiser all my friends donated to in August 2009 still has money to cover that expense. The bad news is it basically empties the medical fund account so I have no money to donate to charity which I had really wanted to do with what was left over. I just want to thank everyone who donated two years ago as I have used every penny for all my medical needs/prescriptions/uncovered expenses/medical leave. I would have been in dire straits without it. You have no idea the impact that has had on me. I cannot say “thank you” enough.
I also can’t wrap my head around the fact that we actually might be getting closer to the end. I’ve been so incredibly busy at work and I’ve had so many problems to date, I don’t even want to get my hopes up that this will go as planned. It’s sad isn’t it? When you come to expect the worst? To tell you the truth, it has to go right because with my job, I can’t afford any hiccups right now. The goal is to be back at work on Monday, August 22 and my surgeon says that’s absolutely doable as long as I don’t lift anything for a while. As long as I can talk and type, I can get to race weekend!
Keep your fingers crossed for me friends and say a little prayer!
Love to you all!
Marcy
No comments:
Post a Comment