Monday, April 25, 2011

Complications Squared

Go figure, I can't seem to catch a break.....

My surgery was on Thursday and things did not go as planned. The surgeon
was supposed to cut out the radiated skin, close it up around the
implant and we'd be on our way to the final tweaking stages of the
reconstruction.

Unfortunately, when he started cutting out the radiated skin, it didn't
leave a lot of room for the implant. So, he decided to make the area as
healthy as possible, cutting out all the radiated skin and scar tissue,
but what was left was not large enough to close up over the implant. The
surgeon decided to put in an expander again, go through a quick
expansion process and do another surgery pretty quickly to get the
implant back in.

I was bummed, but I had no expectations coming out of this surgery after
I was so devastated when things did not go as planned following the Feb.
3 surgery. I wasn't pleased, but I tried to take it in stride.

I felt great on Friday - I guess still having some of the benefits of
anesthesia. But by Saturday morning, I had a temperature of 103 degrees.
My surgeon said to take Tylenol and ice down the left breast area and my
fever should go down, which it did by Saturday night. I didn't feel
great on Sunday, but was mostly just tired.

Well this morning, my chest area was bright red and started hurting more
as the morning wore on. My hyperbaric oxygen chamber doctor called my
surgeon during my appointment with them today and they wanted me to see
my surgeon immediately when I got out of the chamber at noon.

My surgeon said the area was infected and the best way to combat the
infection is to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I have
been referred to an infectious disease specialist, so I am waiting to
see how long they feel it will take to clear this up. My surgeon said it
could be anywhere from two to four days. Again, I tried not to get
upset, but the tears came anyway. I'm just so over the complications and to be dealt two of them so quickly just stinks....Trying to keep my chin up but it gets to me at times.

Thanks as always in your interest in keeping up with me and my journey!

Love to you all!
Marcy

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Marcy - you have been such a trooper, you definitely deserve a break. You have my love and prayers - Kim Culbertson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marcy...I am so sad you are having to go through all of this!!! You have been such a support and encourager to me. Hang in there sweet friend, though it must feel like hanging is about all to do at this point. Love and prayers! Elizabeth Kennis

    ReplyDelete